Sunday, April 19, 2015

Crossover by Kwame Alexander

This is a book written in poem form--it has a rhythm and is set up in stanzas. It is also told by a seventh grade kid so it even kind of reads like a rap. This does two things, it makes you pause and, consequently, read more slowly (which drove me crazy). The pausing helps you to think, but also interrupts the flow making it feel choppy. As I kept reading I did get used to it and it became easier. Initially, however, it was hard for me to really get into it and flow and understand. I wonder how students will react to it?

As for the storyline, it's about a kid, Josh Bell, who plays basketball and is the son of a former NBA player who pushes him pretty hard. He has a big reputation to live up to and his father is constantly pushing him. He also has a twin brother who is also a baller. This is his story of growing up, playing ball and the tragedies in life that push people apart and bring them together. 

It's well told, once you adjust to the rhythm and it made me cry and reread certain areas that were particularly poignant. 

No comments:

Post a Comment