Monday, July 23, 2018

Paper Things by Jennifer Richard Jacobson

I struggled with this book...it seems contrived and worked too hard to create the scene or something. I wanted to like it. I wanted to like the main character, Ari, but there was something that made her seem...I can’t put my finger on it, but I didn’t connect. The dolls seemed to be put in the book as a theme to run through and give it a clever title, but didn’t really fit for me with the character herself. I guess there were just bits and pieces of this story that just didn’t flow for me. Regardless, it is the story of a girl who is left in the care of her brother after their mother dies...well he decides he’s not staying with their guardian any more and takes her with him. They couch surf and have no stability, causing her drama at school as she has a hard time getting work done well, etc. There are parts of this story I enjoyed, but not all of it. Not a raving review but I didn’t hate it. Realistic fiction

No comments:

Post a Comment